Quick Help; see specialized help options in lower content box
For useful tips, browse four more Technical Communication (TCM) research guide pages via tabs in CAPS above, e.g. TOPIC OVERVIEW & WEB.
Please use EARLY AND OFTEN for general questions on nearly any topic; get informal tips via chat, phone, or in-person help at:
At far right, see contact options to send an email question, or propose a phone- or in-person consultation with resource specialists Randall Halverson or May Jafari (scroll down). Please provide several times that you are available; we will respond!
Recommended: Short video tutorials on how to use databases to find articles are linked on the left side of guide page FINDING ARTICLES.
Somewhat more advanced: see FAQs and tutorials at right regarding research skills and strategies. Also recommended: Kimball Library videos, linked to the right (scroll down) cover a variety of topics via short, humorous videos!
Resource updates; see "How Do I?/FAQs" & research orientation tutorials below
- REASON TO USE THIS RESOURCE SITE:
Purdue U. generally does not provide services for IUPUI students. You can often get copies of needed articles within 1-2 business days via the IUPUI library (use ILLiad). You can often get needed books from other IU campuses within several business days (use Request Delivery). The Quick Help staff can assist.
- TO ACCESS RESOURCES FROM OFF-CAMPUS:
2. Then access a resource that you are interested in.
1. Use a "library" link to access a resource such as EI Compendix.
2. For example, access the "Research Articles" page of this guide. Locate the Compendix link within the article databases; see the middle content boxes. The link includes proxy server code to "authenticate", logging in to the library's server via an IU pop-up window, and use the resource.
How Do I?/FAQs
Research Orientation Tutorials
Tutorial provided by APA: Basics of APA Style (select "view the tutorial"; use the vertical slider bar at the right to browse topics)
University Library research skills tutorials:
Citing Sources (1.5 minutes)
Discovering Resources (8 minutes; see a short video* below)
Open and Hidden Web (3 minutes)
Popular or Scholarly? (6 minutes; see a short video** below)
- These tutorials may open work best using Internet Explorer; for Safari and Chrome, look for a small icon to the upper right to all opening the file via Adobe Reader.
- Mac users will need to download the tutorials before viewing.
Kimball Library Instructional Videos: (humorous & short: about 3 minutes or less; from Coastal Carolina University):
274-3668; UL 2140C
I'm happy to support your classwork or research. Please email or call; can leave a message. To meet, please send 2 or 3 days/times you could meet. Or see me at the "Ask Questions Here" desk most Fridays this semester 11am-1pm.