What is Public Health?
What is in this subject guide?
Public health encompasses many disciplines ranging from economics to epidemiology to psychology. Although there are some databases specifically focused on public health issues, sometimes you will need to look for items in several places. In this guide, you will find links to databases, journals, books, websites, data and statistics, and other resources related to the various domains of public health. The Fairbanks School of Public Health has programs in:
- Health Administration
- Health Policy & Management
- Health Systems Management
- Public Health
Other fields relevant to public health include:
- Vital Statistics & Surveillance
- Environmental Health & Toxicology
- Occupational Health
- Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Health Promotion & Education
- Community Health
- Maternal & Child Health
- Public Health Nursing
- Disaster Control & Emergency Services
- Communicable Diseases
- Chronic Diseases & Conditions
- Public Health Laboratory Sciences
- Public Health Informatics
- Global Health
Check out the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention list of 10 Essential Public Health Services.
Tell us what you think:
Start Here! How to use this guide
This guide covers the following topics and will help you find resources at both the Medical Library and University Library.
- Searching Tips & Tricks - practical strategies to search for quality, peer-reviewed information
- Evaluating Sources - resources & strategies to figure out whether information is reliable, relevant, and authoritative
- Writing & Citing - tools and tips to make citing your sources easier
- Journal Articles - resources and strategies for finding journal articles
- Books - resources and strategies for finding print and electronic books
- News Sources - resources and strategies for finding information from newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Web Sources - resources and strategies for finding information that doesn't fit into other categories, like grey literature, blogs, white papers, reports, etc.
- Data & Statistics - resources and strategies for finding public or open access data