Quick help; scroll down for more options
Tips, especially for general questions such as how to find and access library resources and services.
Advanced help with resources or research
- See contact details at right to call or email subject librarian Randall Halverson, or meet at the library.
- To search for articles, find resource links and see tutorials on using EBSCO databases and EI Compendix at left of guide page "FIND, ACCESS, & CITE ARTICLES".
Tutorials on research concepts
Tutorial provided by APA: Basics of APA Style
University Library research skills tutorials*:
Citing Sources (1.5 minutes)
Discovering Resources (8 minutes)
Open and Hidden Web (3 minutes)
Popular or Scholarly? (6 minutes)
*Technical notes: if a University Library tutorial does not download and start automatically:
- On a pc: look for tiny icons in the upper right of the browser screen. Move your cursor over each icon or link to see see what these do. One should give you the option to open the tutorial via Adobe Reader. Internet Explorer may work better than Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- On a mac: Safari may work better than Chrome or Firefox.
**Technical note: The Coastal Carolina tutorials generally download and run automatically. If not, try a different Internet browser.
IUPUI Writing Centers
These writing centers provide the opportunity to work one-on-one on writing assignments and projects with experienced readers and writers.
- The TCM Writing Lab is available to assist students affiliated with the School of Science or the School of Engineering & Technology with writing assignments.
- Scoll to the bottom left for contact details and a link to make an appointment. The lab is in room ET 232.
- The IUPUI University Writing Center (UWC) is available to all IUPUI students, faculty, and staff. Services and Resources for International Students
UWC locations: Cavanaugh Hall (CA 008H) and University Library (UL 2125).
Access resources from anywhere, any time
Most library resources are "IP filtered". Off the campus network, use one of the 3 methods listed below to access a resource. UITS technology Support Center staff can assist as needed.
1. Use a "library" link to access a resource. This is required for Books24x7.
2. From the library homepage, follow links from main Research link "Guides to Research" to "Subject Guides", or from "Find Articles & More" to "Databases A - Z" lists of links.
2. Library links have proxy code to "authenticate"; log in to IU pop-up window.
1. Set up a VPN link; see The basics of VPN at IU.
2. Access resources directly via an Internet search, a browser bookmark, or the library website.
2. Run browser software through IUanyWare. Access resources via an Internet search or the library website.
274-3668; UL 2140C. I'm happy to support your classwork or research. Use Oncourse messages, checking "send copy to email"), or voicemail to leave a question or times you could meet. For this semester, I'm at "Ask a librarian" chat help Mondays 3pm-5pm.